Friday, June 13, 2008

yelling at the kids [and a reality check]

Every parent must feel like this on occasions. I'm not the only one with three young kids. I'm sure I'm not the first to feel frustrated. angry. grumpy. busy.

Today I can't keep up with the mess. My back aches from bending over to pick things up. The same things I picked up half an hour ago. I can't see the floor, although I vacuumed and mopped this morning. The washing machine is on for the fourth time today, but there is still another 4 loads to go .... It's Friday night, and today we celebrated my youngest child's first birthday.

Today my throat hurts from yelling.

Today I checked out Sheye's site. I do every couple of weeks. If you haven't seen her site - do. It's beautiful. Raw. Authentic. A hugely talented QLD photographer who lost her 3 year old daughter in a tragic accident. An accident which happened to occur on the day my family and I were celebrating my first daughter's 2nd birthday.

Today I realised how much I have {sometimes I need reminding, ya know?} Today I realised I have mess. A small house. Too many toys. Boisterous kids. Loud kids. Too much to do. A backache.

Today I realised that I have ALL my kids. Here. Now. I can cuddle them whenever I want to. And I should do it more often. Today I realised how beautiful, simple and fragile my reality is.

Tonight my house is a pig sty. Tonight we will have takeaway. Tonight (and always), I would not swap my reality for anything.

Thank you Ava. Thank you Sheye.

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah we definetely all need a reality check every now and then :-)