Sunday, May 4, 2008

Photo NINETEEN

Sorry folks. We went away for Friday and Saturday night. Our new fav spot? Port Elliot Caravan Park. Right on Horseshoe Bay, one of our favorite spots in all the world.

Our first walk on Friday afternoon was sensational. It was a bit rainy, but just in showers. We thought we had missed the last of them, until about 10 minutes into our walk, we looked over our shoulders and this was coming:



We could tell it wouldn't last long, so I tucked the camera under my jumper and we kept walking down towards the beach. The kids were loving the rain which wasn't overly heavy. The sun started to shine through, so I dared get the camera slightly damp and capured this: (yes, that's rain)





Then ... oh my god ... the most amazing thing. We looked up and the most beautiful rainbow was forming. It started over on the right and soon became a half arch. So I'm snapping away thinking this is all we are going to get ... and it becomes complete! Oh the joys of a rain shower and the sun directly behind us! ... Then it gets sharper, and brighter and then ... (by now I'm nearly wetting myself) it becomes double ... !







I'm snapping away, in a slight panic knowing that this wouldn't last long and that I'm shooting raw with only a 1 gig card and ... oh and what lens is going to be best? ... oh crap! my 10-22 would rock this in! so I quickly change ... this is when I get rain on the mirror. oh crap. sooo not good. So all I can think is, "it's ok, I can photoshop, and I'll worry about the mirror later, keep shooting" ... (so annoyed that I chopped the top of the second bow... grrrr)





So I got the double, yay, I think. Then the rainbow is not showing any signs of disappearing as quickly as I thought .... so I get my gorgeous hubby and oldest two kids to go and stand on the rock wwayyy over there ...

And I got a picture of my pot of gold ...






Thank god by now the little drop of water on the mirror has evaporated and isn't causing too much mischief with the image ... phew I think. Now to go and teach myself how to clean the insides of my camera!


I just love it when photography gives me that kind of thrill. When nature puts on such an awesome display that my heart leaps around and I can't stop myself from repeating "holy crap, holy crap" but then have to shut up because I'm fogging up the view finder ... it was awesome.


And not because of the images I shot (I am so self critical that I think they could be a LOT better) but because my family and I had front row seats to a nature spectacular, I was one very happy camper.


post signature

No comments: